While we celebrate Israel’s independence, we must recognize that it was by no means an easy birth. We invite the Jewish community to read an essay by Rabbi Jonathan Kligler of the Woodstock Jewish Congregation, “Reclaiming a Lost Piece of Israeli History: Dr. Israel Jacob Kligler and the Eradication of Malaria in British Mandate Palestine”. It is about the work of his grandfather, Dr. Israel Jacob Kligler, whose contributions as a doctor and early Zionist helped lay the foundation for what would become the State of Israel. It is both timely and moving.
Reclaiming a Lost Piece of Israeli History:
Dr. Israel Jacob Kligler and the Eradication of Malaria in British Mandate Palestine
Rabbi Jonathan Kligler, Yom Ha’atzmaut – Israeli Independence Day 5780/2020
On this, the 72nd anniversary of Israel’s declaration of independence, I would like to share with you a mostly forgotten yet critical story about the eradication of malaria in the decades leading up to the founding of the state. I share it with a very personal motive, for this is the story about the work of my grandfather, Dr. Israel Jacob Kligler z”l. But I also share this story now during the COVID-19 epidemic because of the crucial lessons my grandfather’s accomplishments can remind us of during our own moment of epidemic disease. read more...
Thanks to your support, we provide for community locally, in Israel and globally. Our programs:
- Support the work of the the Reher Center for Immigrant Culture and History at the Rondout in Kingston
- Offer humanitarian assistance to the elderly and needy at home through Jewish Family Services of Ulster County
- Support PJ Library, a community building organization that enriches Jewish life locally
- Offer scholarships for educational purposes and summer camp experiences
- Promote local synagogues and the Jewish community
- Support local food pantries and humanitarian organizations
- Fall for Art juried art show and sale fundraiser
- View or print Our Brochure for more details
We are a non-religious, secular resource for everyone in the community and a member of the Jewish Federations of North America (JFNA), partnering with them in support of their programs.
Through your generous support, the Jewish Federation of Ulster County raises and distributes funds for humanitarian aid, and advances Jewish community locally, in Israel, and around the world. Email Us for more information.