Make a Gift of Stock
- Making a gift of stocks or mutual funds to us offers you the chance to support The Jewish Federation of Ulster County realizing important benefits for yourself.
- Securities that have increased in value and been held for more than one year are one of the most popular assets to use when making a gift to charity.
- Gifts of appreciated securities are generally more cost effective than gifts of cash. A gift of stock with a long-term gain entitles you, the donor, to a charitable deduction for the full current market value and is exempt from any capital gains tax.
How It Works
- You can send unendorsed stock certificates by registered mail or instruct your broker to make the transfer from your brokerage account to our account.
- If you send a stock certificate that is in your name, please include a letter indicating the purpose of the gift. Under separate cover, provide a signed stock power form for each security you contribute.
- You will receive a federal income-tax deduction for the full market value of the securities.
- You avoid long-term capital-gain tax on any appreciation in the value of the stock.
- The Jewish Federation sells the securities and applies the proceeds to help a cause that you care about.
Make a Legacy Gift
Remember the Jewish Federation of Ulster County in Your Will
A gift to the Jewish Federation of Ulster County in your will or revocable trust enables you to support our mission and make a difference in the lives of future generations.
You can name The Jewish Federation of Ulster County in your will at the time the will is written or when you revise your will. If you have a current will, your attorney can add a codicil – a simple amendment – to include your charitable bequest.